Marriage Licensing


We know... nobody likes paperwork or red tape. The good news is that the process isn't terribly difficult.

Where should you apply for a NJ Marrige License?

The marriage license must be obtained from the registrar in the New Jersey municipality in which either applicant resides. A license issued under the preceding circumstances is good for use anywhere in the State of New Jersey. If both parties are not residents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the ceremony is to be performed and is only  good for use in that municipality.
Click here for printable instructions for Non-Residents.

A New Jersey marriage license may never be used outside of the State of New Jersey and a license issued in another state may never be used within the State of New Jersey. The marriage license fee is $28.00.

When should you apply?

A local Registrar will not issue a marriage license sooner than 72 hours after the application for a license has been made, unless ordered to do so via a Superior Court order.  If the ceremony is scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday.  If the application is made on a Wednesday or Thursday, the 72 hours will end on Saturday or Sunday, but the Registrar will probably not be available on those days or any public holiday.  If both parties are unavailable to complete the application at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period.  The other applicant must return with the same witness (who must be at least 18 years old) to complete his/her part of the application. The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued. The application is valid for six months from the date filed. Once the license is issued, it is good for 30 days from the date of issuance.

What  should you bring?

Required items when applying for a marriage license:

  • Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal ID.
  • Proof of your residency.
  • Your social security card or social security number.
  • A witness, 18 years of age or older.
  • The $28 application fee.

​These are helpful but not required:

  • Birth Certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information.
  • If you are divorced,  please bring the decree(s).
  • If your former spouse is deceased, please bring the death certificate. 

What next?

Your officiant will require to have possession of your marriage license before your ceremony can begin. After the ceremony, your officiant will sign the document along with your two witnesses. You'll receive a receipt copy. Your officiant will then file your license for you. This will be filed in the municipality that the ceremony takes place. You'll also be provided with info on how and where to obtain the official certified copy.

Cape May Elopement Ceremony Officiants